Monday, September 19, 2016

The package was a complete success!!! And Robby said he'd think about being my friend if I brought him presents every day...so you can bet I'm gonna add Robby gift getting to my daily to dos :) :) :) Wheeeeeeeeee!

So, obviously I was very busy and not quite myself the last couple of days, but I realize some of you might not have known the Soupy Sue from the early days of the drought and I kind of just assumed everyone did. So, that was real silly of me, but will be amended now:

I used to work at So-and-So's Diner! I was a waitress there and loved it to pieces. And you might be like: "Really? You loved your job. I don't believe you." But I did -- everything from getting to know all about everyone who came in, to seeing people's transformation after their 1st cup of coffee (OMG do you remember coffee?!?!?!?!?!?!!?), to refilling the ketchup bottles and salt shakers to the perfect level, to the big family meal at the end of the shift where no one talked but the food was so very satisfying...oooh, it was everything.

And you might not even know that that's where I got my Soupy nickname!

One day I was carrying a bowl of split pea soup, when I slipped and somehow got split pea over every ounce of myself. And my bright yellow uniform turned that very particular shade of green. Now this was just after Urine Good Company started to crack down on water usage, and we were only allowed to wash our clothes once a month (gosh, can you imagine that now?!), and anyway, I had JUUUUUUST washed my uniform two days before, so it meant I had pretty much a whole month in my soup-covered uniform, which back then was like forever (again, crazy in retrospect). Now, at first, I was kind of embarrassed about the whole thing -- cause you know, I was literally wearing my failure, and everyone at the diner started calling me Soupy Sue, you know, with some sort of venom in their voices, but then one day, something shifted. And then UGC pushed back the wash-age rules to be once every year and so everyone was kind of in similar boats with what they were wearing, and then the name just kind of turned into a sweet hello, and then it was just regular and part of me, and then I was introducing myself as Soupy Sue.

Then came the day they announced the closure of all non-essential businesses.

I'll never forget it, cause it was my 5th anniversary of work at So-and-So Diner, and that morning, before we opened, So-and-So gave me my annual pickle out of the big jar, and it was as I was taking my first bite that Mr. McQueen entered to give us the news that the doors of So-and-So's would be closing for good. That was the day of my first public cry. I'll never forget the taste of that tear-covered pickle. Ever. It was so salty.

So-and-So isn't with us anymore. Just last week, he was at the amenity, and then he wasn't. Rumor has it they took him to Urinetown in the middle of the night. I wish I'd been able to tell him how much he meant to me before they took him away and I hope he's okay. I miss him so much.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get all sappy again, but I guess that's part of who I am, so I shouldn't try to keep it off the blog, should I?

#reallyrealrealness for you
from Soupy Sue

2 comments:

  1. You know I read your blog, my sweet Sue.
    Love you,
    Your even more shy mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up on about two weeks of your blog, and this post got me a bit teary. I blame the #sleepdeficit

    ReplyDelete